We put the Raspberry Pi 4 to the desktop test, and try it as our daily driver.
Plus some neat and powerful uses for recent Pis, and our thoughts on Manjaro's change of heart.
- Millions of Books Are Secretly in the Public Domain. You Can Download Them Free — Prior to 1964, books had a 28-year copyright term. Extending it required authors or publishers to send in a separate form, and lots of people didn't end up doing that. Thanks to the efforts of the New York Public Library, many of those public domain books are now free online.
- About FreeOffice - it's not being installed by default - Announcements - Manjaro Linux Forum — Manjaro will not be installing FreeOffice by default. This isn't happening.
- Join the new Minimization Team - devel-announce - Fedora Mailing-Lists — I'm starting a Minimization Objective focusing on minimising the installation size of some of the popular apps, runtimes, and other pieces of software in Fedora.
- Google Engineers Get Windows Booting When Kexec'ed Under Linux - Phoronix — An interesting summer internship at Google has led to an experimental effort to get Microsoft Windows running via Kexec from Linux. The engineers involved have been implementing enough of the EFI Boot Services to be able to kexec Windows from Linux.
- Roy Hopkins on Twitter — That's a coincidence. Today I managed to boot Windows 10 directly from Linux on a real platform using a kernel module to emulate UEFI. I hate to say it but achieving ExitBootServices is only the beginning...
- LinuxBoot — LinuxBoot is a firmware for modern servers that replaces specific firmware functionality like the UEFI DXE phase with a Linux kernel and runtime.
- The 2019 SeaGL CFP is open for business! | Seattle GNU/Linux Conference — Calling all speakers or speakers-to-be! Our 2019 Call for Proposals is open!
- Chris Fisher on Instagram — Raspberry Pi 4 desktop kit unboxing
- Benchmarking the Raspberry Pi 4 - Gareth Halfacree — Although appearing similar at first glance, the new board is slightly larger thanks to ports extending further from the PCB for improved case compatibility, the Ethernet and USB ports have been switched around, the power input is now a USB Type-C connector, and the full-size HDMI output has been swapped out for not one but two micro-HDMI connectors.
- Chris' pi4 Benchmarks
- Rpi4-sql Benchmarks - OpenBenchmarking.org
- RPI4-CPU-PERF Benchmarks - OpenBenchmarking.org
- HP 4000 Pro SFF Desktop Intel Core 2 Duo (E7500) 2.93GHz 4GB DDR3 250GB HDD
- Initial Raspberry Pi 4 Performance Benchmarks - Phoronix
- motioneye — motionEye is a web frontend for the motion daemon, written in Python.
- Motion — Motion is a highly configurable program that monitors video signals from many types of cameras.
- CodiMD - Realtime collaborative markdown notes on all platforms. — CodiMD lets you collaborate in real-time with markdown. Built on HackMD source code, CodiMD lets you host and control your team's content with speed and ease.
- r-darwish/topgrade: Upgrade everything — Keeping your system up to date mostly involves invoking more than a single package manager. This usually results in big shell one-liners saved in your shell history. Topgrade tries to solve this problem by detecting which tools you use and run their appropriate package managers.