Linux Desktop Levels Up
March 16th, 2021
52 mins 13 secs
About this Episode
We break down the next-level features coming to a Linux near you in just a few weeks.Support LINUX Unplugged
- Virtual x86 — v86 emulates an x86-compatible CPU and hardware. Machine code is translated to WebAssembly modules at runtime in order to achieve decent performance.
- The Linux desktop is boring again — Where I was once a constant "fiddler" with my desktop, I now want the interface to work how I want it to work, but still look the way I want it to look. I'm more of a minimalist now, so GNOME suits my needs on both levels quite well. However, I find myself rather bored with the Linux desktop.
- What to look for in Fedora Workstation 34 — Christian F.K. Schaller — The big ticket item we have wanted to close off on was Wayland, because while Wayland has been production ready for most of us for a while, there was still some cases it didn’t cover as well as X.org.
- Christian Schaller on Twitter — 2020 was a year where we focused a lot on polishing what we had and getting things past the finish line and Fedora Workstation 34 is going to be the culmination of that effort in many ways.
- GNOME 40 Introducing Headless Native Backend, Virtual Monitors — As part of this headless native back-end is also the ability to create virtual monitors via command-line options for debugging and other purposes. This also allows creating virtual monitor PipeWire streams.
- What’s New in Libhandy 1.2
- Reinventing tabs — In GNOME 40, Epiphany will feature a new tab bar. This isn’t just a restyling of the old one, but a ground-up rewrite.
- My geek stuff blog: Maps and GNOME 40
- GNOME 40 & your extension – GNOME Shell & Mutter
- OBS Studio on Wayland
- Diversity, Flexibility, and Linux: Prioritizing Generous Transfer
- JB Telegram Group
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
- Pick: kmon — Linux Kernel Manager and Activity Monitor 🐧💻
- Pick: ebpfsnitch — eBPFSnitch is a Linux Application Level Firewall based on eBPF and NFQUEUE. It is inspired by OpenSnitch and Douane but utilizing modern kernel abstractions - without a kernel module.
- Feedback: Docker Socket Security
- Feedback: How to exit big picture mode
- Telegram App Is Booming but Needs Advertisers, and $700 Million Soon