Your New Tools
September 29th, 2020
1 hr 5 mins 3 secs
About this Episode
We embrace new tools to upgrade your backup game, securely move files around the network, and debunk the idea that Windows will ever be based on Linux.
0:46 SPONSOR: A Cloud Guru
2:31 LVFS Hits 20 Million Downloads
4:10 Dell Precision 5750 Review Unit Coming Soon
6:27 LVFS Continued
7:29 Xen Hypervisor is Porting to Raspberry Pi 4
12:09 New Dell XPS 13 Developer Editions
14:56 Lenovo Expands its Linux-Loaded Selection
16:48 SPONSOR: Linode
19:31 WSL to Support GUI Apps
24:09 Will Microsoft Switch to Linux?
33:18 Fedora 33 Beta is Live
36:13 Exploring Send and Receive
38:06 Send and Receive: Backups
39:37 Send and Receive: Setting Up the Volumes
41:00 Send and Receive: Rsync Comparison
43:40 Send and Receive: Data Retention Tests
48:10 Send and Receive: Comparing Performance
50:09 Send and Receive: Right Tool for the Job
55:29 Send and Receive: Rivaling NTFS and APFS
57:39 Feedback: Todo Apps
1:01:33 SPONSOR: Unplugged Core Contributors
- 20 Million Downloads from the LVFS — Technical Blog of Richard Hughes
- Xen Project officially ports its hypervisor to Raspberry Pi 4 • The Register
- Lenovo Expands Its Range of Ubuntu Laptops - OMG! Ubuntu!
- WSLG Overview
- WSLG Slide Deck
- X.Org Developers Conference 2020 (16-18 September 2020): X11 and Wayland applications in WSL
- XDC 2020 - Day 1 - September 16, 2020 - YouTube (link with timecode)
- What’s new in the Windows Subsystem for Linux - September 2020 | Windows Command Line
- Support Wayland protocol to allow GUI apps to work. · Issue #938 · microsoft/WSL
- Announcing the release of Fedora 33 Beta - Fedora Magazine
- Phoronix Fedora 33 Beta coverage
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
- Deploying Btrfs at Facebook Scale - Josef Bacik, Facebook
- ZFS Send and Receive
- zrepl — One-stop ZFS backup & replication solution.
- sanoid — Policy-driven snapshot management and replication tools.
- btrbk — Tool for creating snapshots and remote backups of btrfs subvolumes.
- Fruit Images Dataset
- Feedback: MS to Ditch Windows for Linux?
- Windows to become emulation layer atop Linux kernel, predicts Eric Raymond
- Last phase of the desktop wars?
- Feedback: Todo Apps — I'd love to hear more about todo apps, is that something you've covered before on self-hosted or LUP?
- Todo.txt — Future-proof task tracking in a file you control